When people hear I’m a photographer they ask: “What type of photography do you do?” While I have an array of portrait photography backgrounds, in short, here at Boston Portrait Company our main focus is business headshots.
Why is a professional headshot important?
A headshot is your very first impression, especially in today’s virtual world of business. A good headshot offers a glimpse into who you are. It helps identify what you do and why you do it. It is a visual connection that offers people a chance to put a face to your name. Most of all, it’s incredibly important for any business or brand! There are many factors that go into a headshot: background selections, clothing selections, posing and lighting, angles and editing are just a few. In conclusion, we recommend leaving this important job to the professionals. You can trust us to capture and showcase the true professional you are!
More than one look for your headshot
While headshots are intended to present a professional appearance, there are many uses for a headshot. Headshots ultimately reflect your personality, your identity, and your brand. Headshots can be used for your marketing materials, publications, LinkedIn profile, company website, and media outlets.
Depending on how you plan to use your headshots, you will need to select a look that appeals to your audience. For instance, your company website may require a more professional look. On the other hand, an editorial publication might require more business casual feel.
So what style should I choose? Read on for examples.
Some headshot styles and their uses:
In Studio Portraits on a solid background or digital background.
- A timeless look and polished style for the professional who is “climbing the ladder” and intends to land an executive position in a law firm or other corporate company.
- Digital or solid backgrounds for large companies looking for a consistent background look for all employees. This look should most importantly reflect the company brand identity.
- Meanwhile, pure white backdrops or digital backdrops for modern tech and marketing industries who lean towards more of a high energy, business casual look.
- ERAS medical residency applications which require a business look on a plain backdrop which showcases a bit of your personality. After all, the application will be reviewed by the people who will be working with you day and night for the next couple of years!
Environmental Portraits taken in a natural setting outdoors or at your workplace
- While casual and friendly in style, these are for the business owner or professional who ultimately wants to give off an inviting and approachable look.
- Fun, not-so-corporate style for those in the creative industry. Professionals such as make up artists, designers, barbers & hairdressers, florists, tattoo artists, chefs and other creative jobs ultimately have a more edgy look associated with their company’s brand.
- For instance, editorial publications and promotional materials showcasing the geographical area you conduct your business in. This helps clients identify and relate to you.
- In Studio Headshot
- Digital Composite
- On Location Headshot & Environmental Headshot/Headshots in your Office
- Lifestyle/Branding Company Images
- Events & Interiors
- Personal/Small Business Branding Sessions – Creative & Corporate
Contact Us to schedule your headshot session!